What is the Galleri cancer test, and how does it work?
Cancer can be found anywhere in the body, and with early detection, most cancer cases can be treated well before they spread and metastasize. At Atlantic Gastroenterology, Dr. Alexander Shapsis and his team in Brooklyn, New York, provide a specialized blood test for cancer called the Galleri cancer screening.
What is the Galleri cancer test?
This particular cancer screening process looks into blood samples for a unique type of cell-free DNA to identify if it is linked with a type of cancer. It has been found that DNA that develops from cancer cells has unique methylation patterns that may cause it to be identified as a “cancer signal,” which then allows our team to spot certain cancer types.
What types of cancer can be detected with the Galleri cancer screening?
Below are the various cancer types that can be detected by a shared cancer signal:
- Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma
- Ampulla of Vater
- Appendix Carcinoma
- Bile Ducts, Distal
- Bile Ducts, Intrahepatic
- Bile Ducts, Perihilar
- Bladder, Urinary
- Colon and Rectum
- Esophagus and Esophagogastric Junction
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor
- Gestational Trophoblastic Neoplasms
- Lymphoma (Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin)
- Melanoma of the Skin
- Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Mesothelioma, Malignant Pleural
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses
- Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Appendix
- Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Colon and Rectum
- Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Pancreas
- Oral Cavity
- Oropharynx (HPV-Mediated, p16+)
- Oropharynx (p16-) and Hypopharynx
- Ovary, Fallopian Tube, and Primary Peritoneum
- Pancreas, Exocrine
- Plasma Cell Myeloma and Plasma Cell Disorders
- Small Intestine
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Abdomen and Thoracic Visceral Organs
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Head and Neck
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Retroperitoneum
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Trunk and Extremities
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma Unusual Histologies and Sites
- Uterus, Carcinoma, and Carcinosarcoma
- Ureter, Renal Pelvis
- Uterus, Sarcoma
How much does the Galleri cancer test cost?
Presently, the Galleri cancer screening is not covered by health insurance. We can work with you in creating a payment plan to make this early cancer detection service affordable for you!
How do I learn more about this special blood test for cancer detection?
If you want to undergo this unique cancer screening service with Dr. Alexander Shapsis and his team at Atlantic Gastroenterology in Brooklyn, NY, call 718 521-2840 to request a visit at either the Ocean Parkway or Court Street office.